Tuesday, February 3, 2015

ALA Midwinter: Books Galore

I'm just back from the ALA (American Library Association) Midwinter conference in Chicago, which I can easily say was the most awesome professional experience I have ever had.  I am so, so rejuvenated and excited by having just spent four days with amazing professionals in my field, hearing all kind of tips and and best practices.  I've also been incredibly fortunate to meet some authors that I admire.  But--more on all  of that in later posts, because I promised friends that I would start out by sharing a rundown on the incredible list of loot that I stocked up on.

In the exhibit hall at Midwinter, all the major publishers have booths.  And I kid you not, these publishers are literally handing out books.  There are huge stacks of books, just there for the taking.  In some booths, publicists are actually there to intercept librarians as we walk past, handing out the books.  "Would you like a free book?"  Music to my ears.  In other booths, the publicists talk up the books, telling us what they anticipate the next hottest releases in various genres will be.  And once the stacks of books have been given away, new boxes are opened.  So if you walk through the exhibit hall a few hours later, brand new titles will be available.  It's dangerous, I tell you.  I came home with eight gigantic canvas tote bags full of books, all FREE.  Most of them are pre-publication galleys, meaning that most of them aren't available to the public yet, but the copies I have are the form they're going to be in except some basic formatting things, and they have set publication dates for the early months of 2015.

So it may take me several posts to get through all my awesome free new books, but here I go.... If you see anything listed here that you're just dying to read, let me know and I'll pass it your way.  I obviously have a LOT of new books on my shelf and also now have a goal to read all the new award-winners (more on that in another post!), so if you want to break in one of these for me, just let me know.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment