Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Book Review: Unglued


Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions

I have this goal to read one Christian book a month this year (or actually starting in November of 2014).  So I started with Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst.  I can't really tell you why I started with this one.  I think it may have been because I had gotten partway through it before and then put it down when life got crazy and we moved, and I hate the sense of leaving anything unfinished, so I figured I should start over and read the whole thing.  But that really doesn't explain why I picked it up first.

I bring this up because while the book was fine, I guess, I just didn't really get a lot out of it.  And I firmly believe that with Christian books especially, you have to read them at the right season of your life for them to really speak to you.  This is why I have some Christian books that I have owned for a couple of years and actually really WANT to read but haven't opened up yet, because I have this feeling that it's not quite the right season yet.  But I digress.

Anyway, I can't really argue with anything that Lysa TerKeurst said.  Her main premise was that most of us, when faced with intense emotions (particularly anger), become either stuffers or exploders.  Me, I think I'm both in certain circumstances and with certain people.  From there, she advises prayer, turning to Scripture, and working out a plan of dealing with our emotions in advance for dealing with those times of emotional stress.  All very sensible.  And very good advice.  And yet it really just didn't speak to me.  I mean, I agreed with everything she said, but it didn't stir any kind of emotional reaction in me--which, for a book about emotions, seemed a little off.

The only part of the book that did stir anything in me was the fact that TerKeurst is one of those Christian authors that talks directly to her reader by saying things like "we're on this journey together" and "oh, what fun we'll have!"  She also calls the reader (clearly female) things like "dear sister" and "sweet friend."  And while this approach works for thousands of women, it does not work for me.  So that stirred some annoyance in me.  Which is unfortunate, as the advice the book offered was quite sensible.

So overall, this one wasn't a win for me.  Like I said, probably just the wrong season of my life to read it.  I'll probably stick it back on the shelf and try it again when the season is right.

1 comment:

  1. We did a study on this book in Mom2Mom. And I must say, though I didn't read the actual book, I loved the study. And what you say is right, you have to be in a certain season of your life, like having a son that argues with you at every single thing, and has terrible spectral tantrums. And you are Blessed to not be in that season right now. May you never be.

    ReplyDelete