Sunday, December 14, 2014

Overdrive Due Dates are Serious Business

Just so you know, Overdrive due dates are Serious Business.

If you're wondering, "What's Overdrive?", then let me tell you, you're missing out.  It's a fabulous app that you can use to check out ebooks and audiobooks through your public library.  You can access it through your library's website.  If you've never used it, just stop reading this and go download it now.  Then use your library card number to log in.  If you need help, your local librarian can assist you.  It's fantastic.  You'll have all your favorite books and tons of new releases at your fingertips.  You will become gluttonous in your reading habits.

However, be forewarned, the due dates are Serious Business.  Apparently I've just always finished my ebooks and audiobooks before the due date.  Or renewed them.  Or just accepted that I'm not going to finish them and checked out a hard copy.  Or something.  (Because except in EXTREMELY rare cases, I always finish books once I start them).

But this week, I was in a race against time to finish My True Love Gave To Me, a fabulous book of Christmas-themed short stories edited by Stephanie Perkins.  Someone else had a hold on it, so I couldn't renew it.  I'd had to put it aside in order to read a book for book club, so on the day that it was due, I still had two short stories to go.  But I figured I had the whole day, so it wouldn't be a problem.

But when I got up that morning and opened up Overdrive, it informed me that I had 7 hours left with the book.  Huh.  Since Overdrive is an automated system, apparently it takes that "14 day checkout" thing very seriously.  It measures it to the hour.

So I went about getting done the things I needed to get done that morning and then settled down to read.  When I started the final story, Overdrive told me that I had 43 minutes remaining on my checkout.  Yep, that's right, Overdrive measures checkouts to the minute.

I thought, well, surely if I have the document open, I can finish reading it, even if my time expires.

Nope.  The last story was a long one.  43 minutes passed.  I wasn't done.  Overdrive didn't care.  It deleted that ebook right off my phone and I was left to wonder how the story ended. Grrrrr!!!!

I was left with no choice but to put my name back on the wait list to check it out again.

On the up side, the person who checked it out after me clearly did not read another book in the midst while she had it checked out, because she finished in a mere three days, and then I got it back and was able to finish.  Ahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment