Monday, April 29, 2013

Resources for The Great Gatsby

With Baz Luhrmann's movie version of The Great Gatsby scheduled to come out on May 10, I have to imagine that I'm not the only one re-reading this book right now.  I have loved Gatsby since I first read it in high school, and it's one of those books that just gets better every time I read it.  I read it again in college, and I have now taught it to high school juniors three times.  I may not love Gatsby quite as much as my friend Alicia (a fellow English teacher), who once memorably proclaimed, "I would marry Gatsby if I could--the book, not the man.".... but I am definitely a big fan.

When I was preparing to teach Gatsby to my juniors this year, I used my librarian skills to create a pathfinder to guide students through the novel.  The website I created features information on various Gatsby adaptations (including the upcoming movie and Jake, Reinvented), biographical information on F. Scott Fitzgerald, information to enrich undrestanding of the historical context of the novel, resources for teachers, and study materials and extensions.  For any teacher that wants to use these materials in the classroom, or for any Gatsby fan who wants to enrich their personal reading, feel free to check it out.  You can access the site at https://sites.google.com/site/gatsbyguide/.


No comments:

Post a Comment