Friday, May 3, 2013

Quotes for Readers

Since I've been on such a "decorating my classroom" kick lately, I thought I'd share another of my decorations with all my fellow bibliophiles.  I put up some of my very favorite quotes about books and reading:

Here's a transcription:

"I cannot live wihout books." - Thomas Jefferson

"We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading."  - B.F. Skinner

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation."  - Walter Cronkite

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."  -Jorge Luis Borges

"Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back."  - An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

"Make it a rule never to give a child a book you would not read yourself."  - George Bernard Shaw

"After nourishment, shelter, and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world."  - Philip Pullman

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tuillius Cicero

"Books are uniquely portable magic."  - Stephen King

"He liked the mere act of reading, the magic of turning scratches on a page into words inside his head."  - An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

"Luckily, I always travel with a book."  - Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I've also got a few more quotes that I'd like to add...  I'll have to find the time to do that in the next few days!  Those include:

"All we are, all we can be, are the stories we tell.  Long after we are gone, our words will be all that is left, and who is to say what really happened or even what reality is?  Our stories, our fiction, our words will be as close to the truth as can be.  And no one can take that away from you."  - Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

"I wanted to pull down a book, open it proper, and gobble up page after page."  - Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

"I was attempting to write the story of my life.  It wasn't so much about plot.  It was more about character."  - Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

"Words are still needed by everyone.  Words are used to think with, to write with, to hope and pray with."  - Frindle by Andrew Clements

"...She made her home in between the pages of books."  - Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

"When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books."  - Looking for Alaska by John Green

What are your favorites?  What awesome book/reading quotes am I missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment