Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stacking the Shelves: November 15

STSmall_thumb[2][2]
Every week, Tynga's Reviews hosts Stacking the Shelves, where book bloggers share what books they've acquired this week. This year, Thursday is my designated "library day," so I'll be sharing my haul with you when time permits.
 
For me:
 
After re-reading Lois Lowry's The Giver and reading her new release, Son, I desperately wanted to go back and re-read the other two companion novels in this set.  I had Gathering Blue on my own shelf, but had to check Messenger out at the local library.
 
I've meant to read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho ever since a copy of it showed up at my parents' house when my brother was assigned to read it as an incoming college freshman.... way back in the fall of 2000.  Clearly this one has been on my "to read" list for WAY too long.  My motivation to finally pick it up came from my old book club (from before I moved, but I still like to read along with them whenever possible), which is reading it this month.
 
I've read tons of great reviews of David Levithan's newest release, Every Day, and have seen plenty of bloggers calling it "the best book of the year."  As if that wasn't intriguing enough, my dear friend Tracy also recommended it, and I'm always a fan of her recs.  I had to wait several weeks for my library to get it in, so I was thrilled to snatch it off the shelf this week!
 
 
I haven't acquired many books "for keeps" lately, but I'm thrilled to add these two to my collection.  My sweet sister-in-law Jill sent me copies of The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks and Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo for my birthday this week.  I've been wanting to read both of them and am excitedly adding them to my TBR pile.  Though I do hear that The Lucky One is kind of a gateway drug into Nicholas Sparks (who, shockingly, I have never read, though always meant to), so I'm anticipating a library run in the near future to check out more of his books!  (And, side note--do you have any idea how difficult it is to find an image of The Lucky One without Zac Efron's face plastered on it?)
 
For the kids:
A Child's Good Morning Book by Margaret Wise Brown, with illustrations by Karen Katz
A great author/illustrator combo!  Plus mornings have been pretty rough at our house lately, so I'm hoping this might make them a bit more cheery....
 
Goldilocks Returns by Lisa Campbell Ernst
My kids are big fans of fairy tales and also love to imagine the "what happened next?"
 
Cowboy Baby by Sue Heap
My little dude pulled this off the shelf at the library himself.
 
Velma Gratch & The Way Cool Butterfly by Alan Madison
My son has been very into "bubbaflies" lately, and this is a great story of a younger sibling coming into her own.
 
Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches by Lisa Broadie Cook
Very cute book for my first grader to log as her reading homework!
 
Our Library by Eve Bunting
Kids can achieve anything through the power of reading!
 
Owly & Wormy: Friends All Aflutter! by Andy Runton
Another nod to my son's recent love of "bubbaflies," this one is basically a graphic novel for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment