Saturday, September 8, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 8

The 30 Day Book Challenge is an event happening over at In Between. There are book-related topics for every day of September. I'm playing along.... come join me!

 
The topic for Day 8 is "your favorite quotes from books."
 
It's interesting that this should be today's topic, as I was just thinking that I need to start keeping a notebook or something where I can record quotes that I like from books.  Unlike my dad, who keeps a yellow highlighter within arm's reach every time he sits down with a good book, I just can't bring myself to write in books; it feels like sacrilege.  The only exception to this is that I did take notes in the books I used to teach; it made referencing things during class soooo much easier.  So as a slighly modified topic, here I'll be sharing my favorite quotes from books that I've taught.
 
"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once / 'Tis hard to reconcile."
- Macbeth, Act 4, Scene 3 (spoken by Macduff)
 
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
- Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
 
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
- Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
 
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as understood."
- 1984 by George Orwell
 
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
- The Great Gastby by F. Scott Fitzgerals
 
"Of course they needed to care.  It was the meaning of everything."
- The Giver by Lois Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment