Wednesday, September 5, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 5

The 30 Day Book Challenge is an event happening over at In Between. There are book-related topics for every day of September. I'm playing along.... come join me!

The topic for Day 5 is "If you were stranded on a desert island, what five books would you take with you?"`

So I was thinking about this the other night as I was trying to fall asleep.... and trying, and trying, and trying.  And basically, I've come to the conclusion that I am WAY overthinking this question.  My thought process went something like this:

"So if I get to pack for the desert island, that clearly means I know I'm going to be stranded there.  That's silly.  Why would I let myself get stranded?"

"Obviously, if I'm going to be stuck on a desert island, I should take books that will help me figure out what's safe to eat and drink.  And also a book that will help me build some contraption to get OFF the island."

"Okay, but that's not what the question is really asking.  It wants to know about pleasure reading books.  So what would I take?  Hmm...."

"How about some REALLY BIG anthologies?  Like, is there a ginormous book that has all 7 Harry Potters published in one volume?  Because that would really be more bang for my buck."

"Do I get to back other things for this island?  Like clothes or food or whatever?  And if so, would packing gigantic books reduce the space I have to pack other stuff?"

"Again, not the point.  Books.  Think books."

"You know, if I had a Kindle, I could load it with like 500 books and take that.  AND that would save me packing space."

"But wait, how would I keep a Kindle charged on a desert island?"

And so on.

My mind ran in circles and I was totally unable to sleep, but I never did come up with a good answer to Day 5's question.  Fail.

But here's what I can tell you:
I would never be able to narrow it down to five books for an indefinite amount of time.  I just went to visit friends for the weekend, and I packed two books for those two days.... knowing full well that I would only be able to fit in a couple of pages at most.  When I was a kid and my family would go on vacation, I would literally pack two or three bags of all books.  Like, way more books than clothes.  In fact, I would probably have been willing to wear the same clothes every day if it meant more space for books.  As an adult, I have been known to pack an entire laundry basket full of books for a week's vacation... in spite of the fact that I have four small children and I know that time to relax and read without interruptions will be minimal. 

So only 5 books for the rest of my life?  Not gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment