Tuesday, September 25, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 25

The 30 Day Book Challenge is an event happening over at In Between. There are book-related topics for every day of September. I'm playing along.... come join me!

The topic for Day 25 is "a book you want to like but can't get into for whatever reason.  Why can't you get into it?"

I think it is fair to just answer this question by saying "most books I have ever been required to teach."  I really want to like them--partially so that I can feel all intellectual :), but also because then the experience of reading them would be so much more enjoyable.  Not to mention the fact that it is way easier to motivate students to like a book that I actually liked myself.  Side note: I have enjoyed teaching courses where I can create my own syllabus infinitely more, and I think the students do too.

Books that I have taught but not really enjoyed include:
* Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
* The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
* The Odyssey by Homer
* The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
* Billy Budd by Herman Melville
* The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad
* Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
* Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
* King Lear by William Shakespeare
* Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
* The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
* Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
* Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment