Monday, September 24, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 24

The 30 Day Book Challenge is an event happening over at In Between. There are book-related topics for every day of September. I'm playing along.... come join me!

The topic for Day 23 is "you judged a book by its cover--and it was amazing. What book was it?"

Again, I'm not really a "judge a book by its cover" girl.  But I can think of two books where I was not a big fan of the cover--but read and enjoyed them anyway.

One is Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen.  I'd read several of her books before, so I expected it would be good.  Even after just the first few chapters, though, it was obvious that the cover was a misrepresentation of the book.  Auden would never wear pink, and she'd really only wear a dress for a very special occasion.  And the muscular guy on the cover doesn't fit with my impression of Eli either.  Plus it was Maggie, not Eli, that actually taught Auden to ride a bike.  So the cover doesn't really go with the book at all.

The other is Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.  While there's nothing overtly wrong with the cover, the girl doesn't look how I imagined Anna at all.  Perhaps more importantly, I think the title is kind of dumb.  I wouldn't have even picked this book up if it hadn't come recommended by a friend.... but I'm very glad that I did, because it was such a sweet story.

No comments:

Post a Comment