Friday, September 21, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 21

The 30 Day Book Challenge is an event happening over at In Between. There are book-related topics for every day of September. I'm playing along.... come join me!

The topic for Day 21 is "a book you once hated but now love.  What changed?"
 
I actually can't think of an answer for this one.  There aren't very many books that I just flat-out don't enjoy, and I never re-read those ones, so that gives me very little opportunity for changing my mind.  :)
 
As an honorable mention, I'll go with Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.  I was extremely scornful of this famous play when I first read it in high school, because I thought that the title characters were just plain DUMB.  I mean, really, you're going to kill yourselves over not being able to be together?  C'mon, Juliet is like 13 years old.  And if they wanted to be together all that badly, why didn't she just run away to Mantua with him after they got married, instead of hatching this elaborate plan of faking her own death?  Think things through, people.  I didn't actually hate it, but I did think that the epic nature of the story was highly overrated.  As an adult, though, I've taught Romeo and Juliet in my high school English classes, and while I still don't love it, I have come to appreciate its artistic elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment