Monday, September 3, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

The 30 Day Book Challenge is an event happening over at In Between. There are book-related topics for every day of September. I'm playing along.... come join me!


 
The topic for Day 2 is "least favorite books of all time."
 
That's a hard one.  I rarely read something that I just can't stand.  But if I have to choose, the winners (losers?) are:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
I read in for the first time in 5th grade, which was way too young to appreciate it, and therefore was left with a bad feeling about it.  The bad feeling got worse when I had to teach it to several classes of very unenthusiastic freshmen.
 
Billy Budd by Herman Melville
This is also one I had to teach for several years, and slogging through it was sheer misery each time.

1 comment:

  1. I despised Great Expectations in high school, but the recent Masterpiece Theater production was unexpectedly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete