Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorites


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is "top ten best books you've read since starting your blog."  Well.  That is HARD.  I've modified it slightly in order to make it a *little* easier to answer.  First, I considered only the books that I've read in 2011 and 2012, all of which are reviewed on this blog (which I technically only launched this week, but included older reviews on).  Secondly, I only allowed myself one title per author... which cut the list down considerably where some of my favorites are concerned.  So here they are, in no particular order:

1. John Green - It is truly a toss-up which of his makes my list.  Looking for Alaska was my introduction to John Green, so maybe that should be listed because it's the one that inspired me to read all his others.  Paper Towns *might* have been my favorite because of the wide range of emotions that it covered.  But I simply couldn't put down The Fault in Our Stars or Will Grayson, Will Grayson either.

2. Sarah Dessen - Again, a tough choice.  This Lullaby was the book that started my obsession with her.  What Happened to Goodbye and Along for the Ride also get honorable mentions, but my favorite might have been Just Listen.

3. Scott Westerfeld - I absolutely adored his trilogy about characters Tally and Shay, so I'll list Uglies (the first book) here.

4. Lauren Oliver - While I loved her dystopian Delirium and its subsequent series (anxiously awaiting the last book!), I have to say that Before I Fall is the one that has really stayed with me.

5. Ransom Riggs - I really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, not just for the excellent storyline, but also for the fascinating photographs that accompanied it.  I'm looking forward to seeing more from him.

6. Maggie Stiefvater - I devoured her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, but the first book in it (Shiver) was definitely weaker than the other two (Linger and Forever).

7. Swati Avasthi - Split was a realistic, engrossing story about a survivor of abuse.  This was Avasthi's first book, and I'm very interested to see how she follows it up.

8. Jenny Han - Oh, how I loved The Summer I Turned Pretty!  I can hardly wait to get my hands on the sequel.

9. Stephanie Perkins - Although I was initially turned off by the cheesy title, I truly loved Anna and the French Kiss.  Looking forward to reading more from her!

10. Emily Giffin - While I do tend to have a problem with not liking her main characters, I just love Giffin's writing.  Since I just finished re-reading Something Blue, I'll list that as my contribution for her.

Honorable Mentions:
I remembered these after posting my Top 10... I couldn't bring myself to cut any of the ones I previously posted, but these are definitely worth a read as well:
* Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
* When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
* the Crank trilogy by Ellen Hopkins

What are YOUR favorites?  What do I need to pick up next?

5 comments:

  1. I have the same trouble with Emily Giffin (especially in Baby Proof)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily Giffin makes the list, while Melina Marchetta gets only an honorable mention!?

    I think you would like Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. My library shelves it as YA, although I'm not sure it couldn't be just "A."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glynis--I know, shame on me for forgetting about Jellicoe Road at first! To be fair, it is one of the first books I read in 2011, so it's about as long ago as I can get and still be within the time frame. Have you read anything else by her? I keep meaning to but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll add Code Name Verity to my list... I find that I generally like anything you recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, since I had several books from same authors on my list! When you've got, you've got it!

    Karis @YA Litwit

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to read Marchetta's fantasy book, Finikin of the Rock, but quit after a chapter or two. I just couldn't get into it with too much world-building and too little story, and I decided that life is too short for that. I have heard good things about Saving Francesca, so that one is on my list.
    Are you on goodreads? We could keep up with each others reading lists on that also. My username is Slygly.

    ReplyDelete