Friday, August 17, 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Original blurb published on January 1, 2012.

This one took me a long time to read, largely because I had to return it in the middle of my reading in order for us to move, and I didn't pick up another copy for a good long while. I read it with my book club (though I finished way after them). It's the true story of a poor black woman named Henrietta who died of cancer. Her cells were taken without her permission or knowledge, and they went on to form the well-known culture of HeLa, which has been used in an incredible amount of important experiments over the years. It's filled with science, history, and family. It found it to be both shocking and depressing, but I'd still recommend it.

For a more complete review, check out Kirkus Reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment