Thursday, August 16, 2012

Book Review: The Higher Power of Lucky

Original blurb published on January 1, 2011.


A young girl named Lucky is raised in a teensy tiny town (think like 10 people) and needs to come to terms with her mother's death. I liked it for what it was, but the sequels aren't on my short list of "to reads." 

One piece that has stuck with me, though, is that one of Lucky's friends was discouraged by the traffice sign that read "Slow Children Playing."  I've always been struck by those too, and when learning to drive, my friends and I made plenty of jokes about the "slow children."  The character in Lucky, however, decides to fix the sign.... by simply inserting a colon, so the sign now reads "Slow: Children Playing."  I think of this every single time I see one of those signs and really feel that Susan Patron's suggestion should be applied to all of those signs!

For a more complete review of The Higher Power of Lucky, I'd recommend:
* from Book Love

No comments:

Post a Comment