Monday, August 27, 2012

Book Review: The Diary of Darcy J. Rhone

This short novella is a must-read for any fan of Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed and Something Blue.  It is available only in ebook form and is quite short, just over 20 pages.  It was published basically as a teaser for Giffin's newest release, Where We Belong, and the downloaded pages contain three chapters (just over 40 pages) of the new book.

I read The Diary of Darcy J. Rhone all in one sitting, thinking that it would tide me over until I could get my hands on a copy of Where We Belong.  But I simply loved it so much that instead, I went back and re-read both Something Borrowed and Something Blue, pushing Where We Belong down several spots on my reading list.

The Diary is written as journal entries by a teenage Darcy, telling about various episodes in she and her best friend Rachel's high school experience.  Nearly all of the events in the Diary are referenced in Something Borrowed and Something Blue--though often there from Rachel and Ethan's points of view.  Since I absolutely loved the voice of Darcy, it was fun to read about those events from her perspective.  The high school Darcy was every bit as shallow and self-absorbed as we would have expected.... But for the first time, we see her true appreciation for her friend Rachel and her steadying influence in her life.

For any fan of Darcy and Rachel, this novella is a quick, satisfying, cute read.  If you're like me and do not yet own an ereader, you can download a Nook app from Barnes and Noble's website and then read the book on your computer.

Happy reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment