Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Book Review: Before I Fall

Originally published on February 15, 2012.

The blurb on the cover says "You'll have no choice but to tear through this book!" SO TRUE. Once I started, I could not put this book down. I got so sucked into the story that whenever I emerged to interact with my actual family, I felt vaguely displaced, like I wasn't quite sure where I was or what was going on. Yeah, it's that good.

The story is about the last day in the life of Samantha Kingston, a senior at Thomas Jefferson High School in Connecticut. For all appearances, she has the perfect life. She and her three best friends are the most popular girls in school, and she's dating the guy that she's had a crush on since the sixth grade. Life is good.

Under the surface, though, Sam has her share of insecurities. Should she sleep with her boyfriend? Does anybody besides her remember the days before she was popular and how she was teased back then? Would she lose some of her popularity if she talked to people less "cool" than her? Is the way that she and her friends treat people really right?

And then, she dies. It's an accident, a car wreck on a rainy night.

And yet, she wakes up to the sound of her alarm the next morning.

But it's not the next morning--it's the same morning. And Sam relives her last day six more times. Each time, she learns more about herself, more about the people around her, and more about what it means to truly live. She comes to realize what truly matters to her, and she comes to understand how everything is interconnected.

I'm not really sure that my description is doing this book justice. It is an amazing read. If you (are a girl and) like young adult lit, if you've enjoyed reading Sarah Dessen, if you're looking for a great new author, check this one out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment